My work focuses on social judgment and behavior. I examine how people form impressions of individuals and groups as well as the consequences of these impressions on prosocial behaviors (e.g., trust, cooperation, helping), competitive interaction (e.g., conflict, exploitation, aggression), and justice judgments (e.g., praise, blame, punishment). A central aspect of this work is the folk psychology of everyday "mind-reading" -- how we make inferences about what the people around us think, want, and feel.
- Causal Attribution
- Culture and Ethnicity
- Helping, Prosocial Behavior
- Interpersonal Processes
- Judgment and Decision Making
- Nonverbal Behavior
- Organizational Behavior
- Person Perception
- Personality, Individual Differences
- Persuasion, Social Influence
- Prejudice and Stereotyping
- Social Cognition
- Ames, D. R., Kammrath, L. K., Suppes, A., & Bolger, N. (2010). Not so fast: The (not-quite-complete) dissociation between accuracy and confidence in thin slice impressions. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 36, 264-277.
- Ames, D. R., & Bianchi, E. (2008). The agreeableness asymmetry in first impressions: Perceivers' impulse to (mis)judge agreeableness and how it is moderated by power. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 34, 1719-1736.
- Ames, D. R. (2009). Pushing up to a point: Assertiveness and effectiveness in leadership and interpersonal dynamics. In A. Brief and B. Staw (Eds.), Research in Organizational Behavior, 29, 111-133.
- Ames, Daniel R. and Wazlawek, Abbie S. (2014). Pushing in the Dark: Causes and Consequences of Limited Self-Awareness for Interpersonal Assertiveness. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin.
- Ames, Daniel R., Mor, Shira, and Toma, Claudia (2013). The double-edge of similarity and difference mindsets: What comparison mindsets do depends on whether self or group representations are focal. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 49, 583-587.
- Ames, Daniel R., Weber, Elke. U. and Zou, Xi (2012). Mind-reading in strategic interaction: The impact of assumed similarity on projection and stereotype use. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 117, 96-110.
- Ames, Daniel R., Benjamin Maissen, Lily, and Brockner, Joel (2012). Listening and interpersonal influence. Journal of Research in Personality, 46, 345-349
- Ames, D. R., Bianchi, E. C., & Magee, J. C. (2010). Professed impressions: What people say about others affects onlookers’ perceptions of speakers’ power and warmth. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 46, 152-158.
- Ames, D. R., & Johar, G. (2009). I’ll know what you’re like when I see how you feel: How and when affective displays influence behavior-based impressions. Psychological Science, 20, 586-593.
- Anderson, C. P., Ames, D. R., & Gosling, S. D. (2008). Punishing hubris: The perils of overestimating one’s status in a group. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 34, 90-101.
- Ames, D. R. (2008). In search of the right touch: Interpersonal assertiveness in organizational life. Current Directions in Psychological Science, 17, 381-385
- Ames, D. R. (2008). Assertiveness expectancies: How hard people push depends on the consequences they predict. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 95, 1541-1557.
- Ames, D. R., & Flynn, F. J. (2007). What breaks a leader: The curvilinear relation between assertiveness and leadership. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology.
- Ames, D. R., Rose, P., & Anderson, C. P. (2006). The NPI-16 as a short measure of narcissism. Journal of Research in Personality.
- Ames, D. R. (2004). Strategies for social inference: A similarity contingency model of projection and stereotyping in attribute prevalence estimates. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 87, 573-585.
- Ames, D. R., & Kammrath, L. K. (2004). Mind-reading and metacognition: Narcissism, not actual competence, predicts self-estimated ability. Journal of Nonverbal Behavior, 28, 187-209.
- Ames, D. R., Flynn, F. J., & Weber, E. U. (2004). It's the thought that counts: On perceiving how helpers decide to lend a hand. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 30, 461-474.
- Ames, D. R. (2004). Inside the mind reader's tool kit: Projection and stereotyping in mental state inference. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 87, 340-353.
- Ames, Daniel R. and Mason, Malia F. (2012). Mind perception. In S. T. Fiske & C. N. Macrae (Eds.) The SAGE Handbook of Social Cognition (pp. 115-137). Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE Publications.
- Ames, D. R. (2011). Pushing up to a point: The psychology of interpersonal assertiveness. In J. Forgas, A. Kruglanski, & K. Williams (Eds.), Social conflict and aggression. New York: Psychology Press.
- Advanced Seminar in Person Perception
- Managerial Decision Making
- Managerial Negotiation
Columbia Business School
New York, NY 10027
- Phone: (212) 854-0784
- Fax: (212) 316-9355